mcmua logo icon

  Morris County
  Municipal Utilties Authority

Transfer Station Info (Tip Fee $111.25/ton)

  • Mt. Olive Mon-Fri 7:30am-3pm; Sat 7:30am-11am
  • Parsippany Mon-Fri 7am-3pm; Sat 7:30am-11am
  • Closed Sundays and Major Holidays
  • No Rental Trucks
  • Payment by Account, Check, Credit Card. No Cash
Aerial Photo of residents

Helping Residents

Tossing out the trash and drinking city-water isn't as simple as it used to be. Most of the complication is for a good reason, to help save money, resources and the environment. The MCMUA has decades of experience in providing answers to your solid waste and water matters; come find them here. Solutions Every Day!

Garbage Icon House Icon

Garbage Disposal and Using the Transfer Stations for the Resident

Q. How is garbage collected in Morris County?

  • The MCMUA does not provide garbage collection service for residents. Each town in Morris County is responsible for its own garbage collection system, and the level of service provided by each town varies. Click here to view the MCMUA's town database of municipal solid waste services provided in Morris County. There are three primary systems of garbage collection in Morris County.
    1. Some towns use their own municipal employees and equipment to collect garbage;
    2. Some towns contract with garbage haulers to collect the garbage; and
    3. Some towns don't provide any garbage collection at all and rely on each resident to subscribe and pay individually for for garbage collection service with a garbage hauler that services the town.
  • Regarding apartments and condominiums, some towns provide for the collection of garbage at the multi-family complexes while others do not. You should check with the manager of the complex to determine how your garbage is collected.
  • The company collecting garbage is often not the same as the entity collecting recyclables. In the towns where the MCMUA collects recyclables, the garbage haulers will always be different.
  • Regardless of who picks up the garbage in each town, all garbage generated in Morris County is required to be disposed of at the MCMUA transfer stations in accordance with the current waste flow requirements of the Morris County Solid Waste Management Plan. Click here for more information regarding waste flow control requirements in Morris County.

Q. Can residents use the transfer stations to dispose of their own garbage?

  • Residents are allowed to use the MCMUA transfer station for disposing of their own household garbage providing they comply with all rules and requirements related to safety, vehicles and payment options. Click here to read about these requirements, or call 973-829-8585 to ask any questions. If you call us please stay on the phone with a MCMUA representative for as much time as is needed or read our website well enough to understand all the vehicle and waste material restrictions and limitations regarding using the transfer stations. This will prevent misunderstandings and potentially wasted trips to the transfer stations.
  • Residents do not need to make appointments to use the transfer stations, as they are available to residents complying with the requirements during normal operating hours. Please note that appointments are required to drop off waste at the MCMUA's permanent household hazardous facility, which is located within the Mount Olive transfer station.

Q. What forms of payment are accepted for disposing of waste at the transfer stations?

  • Residents - May pay for disposal each time by check and/or credit card without establishing an account or residents can choose to setup a transfer station account to expedite the payment process. Checks cannot be altered or be a temporary check. Additionally, residential transfer station users MUST present a driver's license with their check displaying a Morris County address and the name and address on the driver's license must match what is on the check.
  • The transfer stations do not accept cash.

Q. Can any truck be used to dispose of waste at the transfer station?

  • image of Do Not Rent Trucks for Transfer Stations

    Virtually all types of trucks can be used to transport waste to and dump waste at the transfer stations, but most trucks will be required to have NJDEP decals on them to access the transfer station. The only exception to having an NJDEP decal on your truck is if you are delivering your own waste self-generated in your home and the vehicle is registered with Motor Vehicle Commission as having a gross vehicle weight of 9,000 lbs. or less, and the vehicle does not have commercial plates.

    Click here to read an NJDEP Enforcement Advisory explaining when NJDEP Hauling Decals are required.

  • Important: Do not rent any sized vehicle from U-Haul, Lowes, Home Depot, Ryder, etc., and expect to be able to use the transfer stations with them. State law requires that all commercial vehicles and/or vehicles with commercial license plates must have current NJDEP hauling decals on them in order to use the transfer stations. Additionally, any truck over 9,000 gross vehicle weight will not be permitted to dump its load at the transfer station if it does not have the appropriate NJDEP decal on it. Click here for more information about NJDEP decal requirements, or call the NJDEP directly at 609-292-7081.

  • In addition, unless the waste you are hauling is self-generated from your own home, you are required to obtain an NJDEP hauling decal to use the transfer stations. This is regardless of the weight of the vehicle.
  • Click here for more information regarding vehicle requirements and rules related to NJDEP decals and registration.

Q. Must residents comply with all safety requirement while using the transfer station?

  • There is a lot of heavy machinery operating at the transfer stations and keeping everyone safe is a priority. Residential customers and all other people must comply with all safety requirements while using the transfer station. This includes wearing a hard hat and reflective vest while emptying your vehicle. Hard hats and safety vests will be lent to residents as they are emptying their vehicles. Additionally, it is recommended that no one wears good shoes because they are bound to get dirty at the transfer stations. For more information, click here to read the the transfer station operating procedures.

Q. Can tires be dropped off at the transfer stations?

  • Tires are accepted for recycling at the Parsippany-Troy Hills transfer station only. Tires are accepted only on Saturdays. The Mount Olive transfer station is not permitted to accept tires at all. Tires are mandated recyclables in Morris County and cannot be put in the garbage for disposal. Tires are rejected at the transfer stations if found in the garbage.
  • At the Parsippany transfer station, car tires are accepted for a fee, (click here for the current price list), with or without rims. This includes small truck tires such as pickup trucks, vans and SUVs.
  • Small quantities of tires (12 or fewer) are accepted on Saturday mornings at the Parsippany-Troy Hills transfer station without an appointment. For large quantities of tires (more than 12) you must first call the transfer station at (973) 808-9651 to schedule.
  • In addition to the Parsippany transfer station on Saturday mornings, some municipal recycling depots accept tires from residents. Additionally, some private tire recycling facilities operate in New Jersey, typically outside of Morris County. Please contact any facility to confirm drop-off procedures, pricing, etc. prior to delivering tires to them. Click here to view the list of facilities that accept tires.

Recycling Icon House Icon

Recycling Information for the Resident

Q. How do recyclables get collected in Morris County?

  • Each town in Morris County is responsible for its own recycling collection system, and the level of service provided by each town varies. Many, but not all, towns also provide municipal recycling depots that allow for residential drop-off of recyclables. Click here to view the MCMUA's municipal database of municipal solid waste services provided in Morris County. Click here for a listing of municipal recycling depots. There are three primary types of recycling collection in Morris County.
    1. Some towns use their own municipal employees and equipment to collect recyclables;
    2. Some towns contract with hauling companies to collect their recyclables. The MCMUA provides recycling collection services for towns that contract to use the MCMUA curbside recycling collection program; and
    3. Some towns don't provide any recycling collection at all and instead rely on each resident to subscribe and pay individually for recycling collection services with a hauling company that services the town.
  • Regarding apartments and condominiums, some towns provide for the collection of recyclables at the multi-family complexes while others do not. You should check with the manager of the complex to determine how your recyclables are collected. Click here for additional information about recycling at multi-family residential complexes (apartments and condominiums).
  • The company collecting recyclables is sometimes not the same as the entity collecting garbage. For instance, in some towns the MCMUA collects recyclables but does not collect garbage.
  • Regardless of who picks up the recyclables in each town, there is a list of materials that are mandated to be separated from the garbage in order to be recycled. This is known as mandated source separation recycling and it has been the the law throughout all of New Jersey since 1987. While each town is free to devise how to provide recycling collection services, it is the responsibility of each and every resident, business and governmental institution in Morris County to source separate and recycle all of the mandated materials. Click here to read about the list of mandated recyclables. It is not necessary that a town provide collection for each mandated recyclable, and many towns leave certain materials to be recycled independently by the generator.

Q. In which towns does the MCMUA collect recyclables?

  • Click here to view the list of municipalities the MCMUA collects from along with their recycling schedules. The MCMUA curbside recycling collection program operates in towns that contract with the MCMUA to perform this service. Typically when a town contracts with the MCMUA to provide residential curbside recycling collection, the MCMUA also delivers recyclables collected at the municipal recycling depot to recycling markets. Depending upon the contract, sometimes apartments and/or condominiums are included in the collection contract and sometimes they are not. Please check with your municipal recycling coordinator or manager of your apartment/condominium to find out who collects both your recyclables and/or garbage. Additionally, the MCMUA's recycling collection contracts with towns sometimes include collection at municipal buildings and/or schools.

Q. Does the MCMUA provide household containers for recycling?

The MCMUA does not provide recycling containers. The MCMUA does provide recycling and trash decals for your own containers. Click here to view the decals that the MCMUA provides.

Q. Did the MCMUA miss your recycling collection?

If recycling was not picked up on your scheduled collection day, it must be reported to your Municipal Recycling Coordinator/Municipality no later than 10 AM the day following collection. Any missed pick up reported after 10 AM the day following will not be picked up until the next scheduled collection.

Q. Should I buy the biggest recycling container available, or is there a weight limit?

The MCMUA currently collects recyclables manually, which dictates a 50-pound limit on the the weight of each individual recycling container and its contents. Please use multiple containers if you have over 50 pounds of recyclables to place at the curb for collection by the MCMUA.

Q. Are there other materials I am required to recycle besides what is picked up at curbside?

While most residents recycle cans and bottles and most types of paper through their curbside recycling program, there are other less traditional items mandated to be recycled, even though they may not be acceptable in the town's curbside recycling collection program. Tires and appliances are common examples of such mandated recyclables.

Q. Do I need to label my containers for collection?

Residents should label their home garbage and recycling containers. Many people say they know what container is what and they don't need a decal, but the decals are not only for their use but for the curbside collection crew. Some towns have recycling and garbage collection on the same day. Click here to view the decals that are provided by the MCMUA.

Q. Any holiday recycling tips?

Image of holiday recycling scene

Most gift wrap paper is recyclable and one must not forget about all the corrugated and bottles that are produced during the holidays. Special attention must also be paid to recycling electronics and batteries Click here to view some of the MCMUA's tips on holiday recycling.

HazWaste Icon House Icon

Household Hazardous Waste for the Resident

Household Hazardous Waste Links

How do I get rid of paint?

Click here for information regarding management of paint, including latex paint.

How do I recycle electronics?

Click here for information regarding management of electronics (E-waste).

How do I recycle refrigerators, air conditioners or dehumidifiers with freon or CFCs?

Click here for information regarding management of appliances and freon or CFCs.

How do I dispose of smoke detectors?

Click here for information regarding the disposal of smoke detectors.

Vegetative Icon House Icon

Compost, Mulch and Vegetative Waste for the Resident

Purchase compost and/or mulch delivery by credit card by clcking the button below. First purchase the deliveries by credit card and then we will contact you to schedule, coordinate and confirm your delivery.
Compost/Mulch Payment by Credit Card

Residential and Commercial delivery (year-round) of mulch and compost

image of Flyer for Compost Delivery

Double-Ground Wood Mulch (for landscaping around trees and shrubs)

  • $210.00 for ten cubic yards delivered
  • $150.00 for five cubic yards delivered

Screened Compost (decomposed leaves and grass; soil amendment for lawns, vegetable gardens and flower beds)

  • $220.00 for ten cubic yards delivered
  • $155.00 for five cubic yards delivered

Unscreened Compost (impurities such as rocks and trash are not screened out from the decomposed leaves and grass; soil amendment for lawns, vegetable gardens and flower beds)

  • $125.00 for ten cubic yards delivered
  • $100.00 for five cubic yards delivered

Q. Who may order a delivery?

A. Deliveries of double-ground wood mulch and screened compost are delivered by truck to residential and commercial locations with paved surfaces on which to dump the material. Delivery is available to Morris County and its surrounding counties. Call to see if we can deliver to your location. Additionally,the drop off site must ensure that no overhead obstructions are over the drop off area as the truck's back will need to be raised to off load the material.

Q. Can you guarantee a specific delivery time?

A. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee any specific delivery time. Our drivers arrange their own delivery schedules, and many variables affect the day's deliveries, including traffic, weather, and the locations of that day's deliveries. We may indicate that someone prefers an a.m. or p.m. delivery, but we cannot guarantee morning or afternoon delivery. Deliveries may be performed anytime between 6:30AM and 5:30PM.

Q. How can I order wood mulch or screened compost?

While we are not delivering in the winter months, seasonally, to place an order for home delivery please you would call either the dedicated compost delivery appointment line at (973) 285-8389 or main office line (973) 285-8383 to place your order and appointment.
Compost/Mulch Payment by Credit Card

Q. How will I Pay?

A. Payments are made either by day-of-delivery check or prepaid through our online payment portal via credit card.

When paying by check a customer will leave a check for the full amount in a location at the exterior of your home that is accessible to the driver. Typically, the check is taped to the front door or garage where the material is dumped but the location will be discussed when you place your order. If a check for the full amount is not left on the day of delivery, the material will not be dumped.

When paying by credit card a customer will first pay for their delivery through our online payment portal. An MUA representative will follow up with phone call to arrange your delivery date and an e-mail receipt will be sent for proof of payment.

Q. Will I be notified/reminded the day before my delivery?

A. Yes, you will be called prior to your delivery date. However, please mark your calendar and note the delivery date scheduled so you do not forget to do the following:

1) Put out a tarp, sign, or marker designating the delivery dump site.
2) Leave your check for payment at the location designated at the time the delivery appointment was scheduled if paying by check.

The reasons compost or mulch are not left on scheduled days are because the driver cannot determine where to dump the load, the driver does not have proper access to a driveway or dumping location, and/or there was no check left for payment.

Q. What Is the Refund Policy?

Once material has been delivered it cannot be removed from the property. If you are not satisfield with the product delivered, please call the MCMUA customer service at 973-285-8385 within one day after delivery.

Q. How do I cancel my order?

Orders can be canceled up to 48 hours in advance. Please note that if you do not cancel an order and a driver shows at your residence, you will be billed for the full amount of the material ordered.

Q. Can I leave a message regarding my order after hours?

A. No. If you need to change or cancel an order, you must call the MCMUA and speak directly with a representative. We cannot accept responsibility for any messages left on the MCMUA's voice mail system. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Q. What is screened compost?

A. Screened compost consists of leaves that break down (decompose) over a period of months. After autumn leaves are deposited at our recycling facilities, they are turned weekly and are broken down by April/May into a black, crumbly soil amendment known as compost. The material is then screened in a large screener, and bulky materials including large sticks, twigs, etc., are removed and a finer, finished compost is produced.

Q. What are the benefits of compost?

A. Compost helps plants grow better, improves soil structure, helps the soil retain water, helps release plant nutrients and adds vital organic matter to the soil.

Q. What is double-ground wood mulch?

A. Double-ground wood mulch consists of tree parts, branches, brush and wood chips. Brush and tree parts are processed once and then mixed with wood chips for a second grind resulting in a more finely ground mulch.

Q. What are the benefits of wood mulch?

A. Wood mulch is used around trees, shrubs, landscape plants, and flower beds to help reduce weeds, conserve moisture and enhance the natural beauty of the landscape. Wood mulch breaks down slowly and adds organic matter to the soil. Generally, a mulch layer of two to four inches will reduce weeds, conserve moisture, and increase the attractiveness around shrubs and trees. When mulching around trees, remember to keep mulch approximately six inches from the trees trunk.

Q. Approximately how many square feet will ground-wood mulch cover at different depths?

Cubic Yard Coverage Table - General Guide
  • 1 c.y. = 324 square feet at 1" depth
  • 1 c.y. = 162 square feet at 2" depth
  • 1 c.y. = 108 square feet at 3" depth
  • 1 c.y. = 81 square feet at 4" depth
  • 1 c.y. = 64 square feet at 5" depth

Q. What is the current availability for residential pickup of mulch and compost?


Parsippany Vegetative Waste Recycling Facility

Mount Olive Vegetative Waste Recycling Facility

Unscreened Compost


Unscreened Compost


Wood Mulch


Wood Mulch





Q. Where are the vegetative waste facilities for residential pickup of mulch and compost?

A. Our Parsippany facility is behind the Morris County Public Safety Training Academy at 500 West Hanover Avenue, Parsippany 07054. Click here for directions.

Our Mount Olive facility is off Waterloo Valley Road in the International Trade Zone in Mount Olive. Click here for directions.

The MCMUA makes available on a first-come / first-served basis unscreened compost and double ground wood mulch for Morris County residents free of charge from piles located at the entrance of each site. Morris County residents may take FREE of charge a maximum of 2 Cubic Yards of each product per household. Both locations are under video surveillance to minimize abuse of these piles and prevent illegal dumping. Commercial entities are not permitted to take any of the FREE material as it is exclusively put out for residentially pick up only.

This FREE pickup of material is provided by the MCMUA as a community service so please respect our facilities and others when loading your material. Please note that active screening of compost at the pickup area is not permitted. Additionally, there is no residential drop off (dumping) of materials allowed at the sites whatsoever. Those that violate this rule and illegally dump on our facilities will no longer be permitted on site for future pickup of any materials and may be subject to enforcement actions.

Customers seeking larger quantities, The MCMUA sells and delivers truckload quantities of screened and unscreened compost and double ground wood mulch on year-round basis. Landscaping products can be delivered in quantities of 5 and 10 cubic yard increments for each product and pricing for each can be found here for these delivery quantities.

Commercial businesses are NOT permitted to take material from the piles of wood mulch or unscreened compost at either site. Click here for information about purchasing compost and mulch in bulk by businesses.

Q. Are Morris County residents permitted to dump at these facilities?

The MCMUA vegetative waste recycling facilities are not open to the general public for the recycling of leaves, grass, brush, or wood chips. They are open only to pre-approved contractors and municipalities. Please DO NOT enter these facilities. Heavy equipment operates daily and objects that enter a grinder, screener or compost windrow turner can be ejected with tremendous force over long distances. If you have a question, comment, or concern, call 973-631-5109. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THESE FACILITIES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER.

Water Icon House Icon

Water Information for the Resident

The MCMUA does not sell water directly to individual residents, but wholesales it to other water purveyors. Anyone who has a question regarding his/her individual water bill should contact the company listed on the bill or the municipality where he/she resides.

The Southeast Morris County Municipal Utilities Authority (SMCMUA) is different from and is not associated with the MCMUA. The SMCMUA provides drinking water directly to customers in Morristown, Morris Township, Morris Plains and Hanover Township with some service in Mendham Township and Harding Township. Anyone who has questions about an SMCMUA-issued water bill may call SMCMUA customer service at 973-326-6880 or visit