Transfer Station Schedule
Transfer Stations - NJDEP Decals and Registration
Provided below are the vehicle registration requirements for utilizing the transfer stations for solid waste disposal. There are three classes of vehicle registration:
- "A-901" LICENSED TRANSPORTERS (Solid Color Decals)
- "A-901" EXEMPTED TRANSPORTERS (Cross-hatched decals)
VEHICLES NOT REQUIRING NJDEP REGISTRATION
The Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) requires solid waste transporters to register with the NJDEP and obtain vehicle decals prior to picking up or disposing of waste in New Jersey (references: N.J.S.A. 13:1E-1 et. seq., N.J.A.C. 7:26-3.2 and N.J.A.C. 7:26G-7). This means you may not use the MCMUA transfer stations, or any other NJ disposal facility, without having current and proper NJDEP decals on your vehicle. The only exemption from this requirement is for persons transporting only their own household waste in passenger automobiles with non-commercial license plates and having a gross vehicle weight of 9,000 lbs. or less. Transporters hauling self-generated waste such as contractor or landscaper waste need to apply for an “exempt” permit by filing a registration statement in person with NJDEP and apply for decals. For information on registering as an EXEMPT solid, medical or hazardous waste transporter, please contact the NJDEP’s Licensing & Registration Unit at (609) 292-7081 or click here to go to the NJDEP, Solid Waste Licensing And Registration Unit website.
Click here to read an NJDEP Enforcement Advisory explaining when NJDEP Hauling Decals are required.
1. Vehicles Requiring NJDEP Registration (Solid-Color Decals)
Reference: N.J.A.C. 7:26-3.1 and 7:26-16
"A-901" LICENSED TRANSPORTERS (Solid-Color Decals)
- All vehicles, including trailers used to transport solid waste in New Jersey.
- All cabs (tractors) or other vehicles used to pull trailers holding solid waste.
- All containers used to hold solid waste (diagonally lined decals).
**"A-901" licensed refers to those transporters approved by the NJDEP to operate a solid/hazardous waste hauling/transportation business in NJ. They are also required to have a Certificate of Public Necessity and Convenience.
2. "A-901"EXEMPTED TRANSPORTERS (Cross-hatched decals)
- All vehicles that are used to transport solid waste, bearing commercial DMV license plates and which have been exempted from having to be fully licensed ("A-901" licensed).
- All vehicles used to transport solid waste which are registered with the DMV with a gross weight in excess of 9,000 lbs. (commercial or non-commercial).
*"A-901" exempted refers to those transporters who are exempted by the regulations from having to submit a disclosure and obtain a solid/hazardous waste transporter license as well as a "certificate". Among those in this category would be government (federal, state, county and municipal) agencies and "self-generating waste disposers".
3. VEHICLES NOT REQUIRING NJDEP REGISTRATION (exempt from having decals)
Ref.: N.J.A.C. 7.26-3.3
- Persons transporting only their own household waste in passenger automobiles bearing general MV registration plates.
- Persons transporting only their own solid waste in vehicles registered with DMV as having a gross vehicle weight of 9,000 lbs. or less.
Persons transporting solid waste through New Jersey roadways and highways if:
- Solid waste is not discharged from vehicle used.
- Solid waste is not being collected, treated, processed, transferred or disposed of in New Jersey.
- Solid waste is not stored in vehicle or container in excess of 24 hrs., unless it needs repair due to mechanical breakdown and repair is needed, or the operator must stop for a mandatory rest or break.
- Persons transporting source separate recyclable material to an authorized (class B) recycling