MCMUA Transfer Station Safety and Operational Rules
We are required to adhere to all Federal, State and Local regulations and to provide a safe, healthy and sanitary workplace. Each of us has the responsibility to make the safety of our co-workers, our customers and the general public a primary concern; this objective is fundamental to the MCMUA and it's employee’s well being, as well as the efficient operation of our facility.
It is imperative that all persons entering the site know, understand and abide by these safety rules (This listing is not intended to be all-inclusive):
- Hardhat, high visibility clothes/reflective safety vests, safety shoes and eye protection are to be worn when outside the vehicle.
- All vehicles must comply with the posted traffic signs, with special attention to the posted speed limit of 5 MPH.
- All vehicles must come to a full stop before proceeding onto the scales.
- A minimum distance of ten (10) feet must be maintained between all personnel, trucks, rolling stock and heavy equipment with in the facility except on tipping floor see rule #18.
- All commercial solid waste vehicles entering the facility shall be equipped with external audible back up alarms; a minimum 85 dBa alarm must sound whenever the machine is in reverse.
- Loads must be tarped prior to entering the facility. Tarps are to be removed in designated remove tarp areas only. Under no circumstances are tarps to be removed before entering the facility.
- Drivers preparing to enter tipping areas must await directions from the Traffic Coordinator and/or Heavy Equipment Operator. Driver is to maintain eye contact with operating personnel.
- Blind side backing is not to be attempted without guidance.
- Passengers and Helpers must remain in the cab of the vehicle. Drivers must stay within six feet of their vehicle when outside of their vehicle. When out of vehicle please keep clear of tipping area bay door(s) as loader will be backing out.
- Riding on the outside of the vehicle or standing on the vehicle rear step is forbidden when vehicle is moving on site.
- Cleaning out from behind the blade of a vehicle (truck cleanouts) must be done in designated clean out areas separate from the work zone.
- While dumping the load, stay clear of the back of the vehicle. Never stand under the open tailgate or raised hopper.
- Tailgates, bodies, and hoists should be lowered before exiting the building to ensure compliance with DEP permit. Equipment should not be moved around with the tailgates, doors, hoist, or bodies open or in the extended position. All open top trucks must be completely empty before exiting the tipping floor.
- The backs of packer trucks and roll-off containers must be opened and closed on the tipping floor.
- The operator/driver of a vehicle needing to be pulled shall hook and unhook the towing equipment. Pull hooks should be mounted on the front and rear of all refuse vehicles.
- “Jake Brakes” may not be used on site at any time.
- Heavy Equipment Operators have the right-of-way on the tipping floor. All vehicles are to yield to operating machinery and pedestrians.
- A fifteen-foot safe zone must be maintained between heavy equipment and trucks working on the tipping floor. (15-foot safety zone cannot be enforced without closing 2 bay door from tipping and the MCMUA will not allow this).
- Conforming safety chains must be used to hold open roll-off container doors while unloading. Use of bungee cords, wire, ropes, etc. will not be permitted.
- All passengers must remain inside the vehicle. No children. No pets.
- Do not pass moving vehicles.
- To increase visibility, it is required that headlights and 4 way flashers be operating during disposal.
- Report all injuries/accidents to the Traffic Coordinator or at the scalehouse.
- Smoking is prohibited while outside your vehicle.
- Horseplay, scavenging or picking through the loads is strictly forbidden.
- Firearms, and/or weapons of any type are not allowed on the property for any reason.
- The use of intoxicating beverages or any other restricted substance on the facility is strictly prohibited.
- Photography is prohibited unless there is written permission from the MCMUA.
- All visitors must check in at the scalehouse and/or main office.
- Drivers are not to use cell phones or two-way radios while driving on the transfer stations’ property, especially during a backing maneuver.
- In the event a post collection employee needs to enter the tipping area on foot, all movement of equipment and vehicles must stop before and during this process. Movement cannot resume until the person(s) on foot has communicated to the vehicle operator(s) that the ground is clear.
- Radio, tape or CD player earphones are not to be worn.
- Upon entering the facility all collection vehicles must yield to any transfer trailer traffic going to the inbound scale.
Thank you for your cooperation.replica watches