MUA_Logo
Loading
Image of lead paint on wood

F.A.Q. Wood With Lead Paint

The MCMUA operates one of NJ's most comprehensive household hazardous waste (HHW) programs. This F.A.Q. page and information on hazardous materials is intended as a guide about HHW materials as well as the MCMUA's HHW program. This information is a general guide and does not constitute official rule, regulation or law.

Hazards

  • Ingested lead paint chips has been proven to cause brain damage in children.
     

Handling

  • Handle items (moldings, doors and windows) in a way that minimizes paint chipping.
  • Keep out of reach of children and pets.
     

Management Options

  • Households may dispose of small amounts of painted wood in the trash, although local size restrictions may require pieces to be cut.
  • If there is a choice of disposal facilities: send items with lead-based paint to a lined solid waste landfill rather than a waste-to-energy facility.
  • If items are removed by a contractor, the contractor must dispose of them according to federal, state and local requirements.